The Resale Shops
The Coalition Resale Shops
…were established in 1990 to support the mission of Sandhills/Moore Coalition for Human Care. The campus at 1117 West Pennsylvania Avenue features four unique thrift stores as well as the Donation Center and sorting room. The Resale Campus is open for shopping and donations Tuesday and Thursday from 10:00 am-4:00 pm and Saturday from 9:00 am until noon.
The Coalition is fortunate to receive donations over and above those required by families in need. Donations received from the community are sorted according to need and distributed either to the Client Services location or to one of four thrift stores. Revenues from sales at the stores are used to purchase food items for the food pantry or provide financial assistance to struggling families. Proceeds from The Coalition Resale Shops contribute approximately 50% of the Coalition’s total annual budget.
History of Resale Campus
Margaret Sullivan was employed by the owners of Quaker Oats and traveled from Chicago to Southern Pines with her employers. In 1933 Sullivan wrote to the Raleigh Diocese expressing her desire to assist financially in establishing a Catholic Church for African Americans in Moore County. The church was dedicated on March 19, 1935, as Our Lady of Victory Catholic Church. Our Lady of Victory School opened on September 8, 1942.
Our Lady of Victory church and school served West Southern Pines well. The church became an informal community center; welcoming people of all faiths and offering movies, vacation school, and other neighborhood events. During integration the Catholic Diocese in Raleigh closed Our Lady of Victory, merging it with St. Anthony of Padua to establish an integrated Catholic Church as well as the first integrated school in Moore County.
The Our Lady of Victory campus sat vacant until the 1970’s when the Town of Southern Pines purchased the property from the Catholic Diocese. The town established the Douglass Community Center in the former school building which is now part of the Southern Pines Parks and Recreation Department and hosts a variety of private and community events.
Over the next two decades, the church and rectory buildings served numerous organizations including Sandhills Community Action Program and a tutoring program for local youth. In 1986 the Town of Southern Pines leased the rectory to the newly founded Sandhills/Moore Coalition for Human Care.
Demand for Coalition services continued to grow and by 1990 the organization was seeking additional funding opportunities. Dedicated volunteers began holding yard sales each Saturday morning to financially support the Coalition’s mission. With their success and the encouragement of their loyal customers, The Coalition opened its Resale Shop in the spring of 1990.
COALITION NEWSLETTER ARCHIVE Winter, 2021 Newsletter Summer, 2020 Newsletter Winter, 2020 Newsletter Summer, 2019 Newsletter Winter, 2019 Newsletter Summer, 2018 Newsletter Winter, 2018 Newsletter Summer, 2017 Newsletter Winter, 2017 Newsletter Summer, 2016 Newsletter...
News Release Contact: Barrett Walker, Executive Director (910) 693-1600 firstname.lastname@example.org The Coalition Resale Shops Celebrate 25th Anniversary The community is invited to join The Coalition Resale Shops as they...