History of Resale Buildings
Sandhills/Moore Coalition for Human Care opened on May 1, 1986 at the current Resale location at 1117 West Pennsylvania Avenue in Southern Pines. All services were located there until 2007 when client services and the administrative offices moved to the Gilmore Building at 1500 West Indiana Avenue.
The current Resale buildings were originally the campus of Our Lady of Victory Catholic Church. The current Douglas Community Center was the school, the Sullivan Building was the church, and Cris and Florrie’s Boutique was the rectory (the priest’s residence). Miss Hallie’s was originally a private home of a Coalition volunteer and was purchased by the Coalition. We have since added the Bargain Barn and storage buildings to better serve our needs.
The idea for a Catholic Church started in 1933. An Irish housekeeper wrote to the Catholic Bishop of Raleigh expressing her desire to assist financially in the construction of a Catholic church for the people of West Southern Pines. Her name was Margaret Sullivan and she worked for the Meehan family, owners of Quaker Oats Company in Chicago, Illinois. The Meehan family lived in Pinehurst during “the season” - November through April. The church was constructed at a cost of $5,000. (That included furnishings) and was dedicated in March 1935. The church was named in honor of a church on Long Island. Today the church building is named for Margaret and called the Sullivan Building.